Three RCTs were included in the review. The number of included patients was unclear.
All three biological agents were statistically significantly more effective in gaining a positive response in Ankylosing Spondylitis Response Criteria than placebo; infliximab (OR 6.88, 95% CI 3.66 to 13.46), adalimumab (OR 4.48, 95% CI 2.63 to 9.16), and etanercept (OR 4.95, 95% CI 2.71 to 8.16).
Indirect comparison between the three biological agents showed no statistically significant differences in effectiveness.
Infliximab was reported to have 72% probability of being the best treatment in ankylosing spondylitis. Adalimumab showed a probability of 13% and etanercept showed a probability of 15%.